About Our Church
Discover Deeper Spiritual Meaning
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Charlotte was formed in 1947 and was the first Unitarian church to be established in North Carolina. Click here to learn more about our history. We have more than 640 adult members and approximately 250 children and youth who are a part of our community. Though a few of our members have been lifelong Unitarian Universalists, most of us come from diverse religious backgrounds. We hold widely varying religious views and follow many different spiritual paths while cohering around a set of shared values or “principles.”
A professional staff of four full-time and four part-time members along with many committed lay members provide leadership for our congregation. As a self-governing church, we are both free and responsible to determine the mission, programming, and structure that best meet our own spiritual needs. We seek also to be a progressive religious voice in the larger Charlotte community. The generous offering of our collective time, talent, insight and financial resources helps sustain and strengthen our congregation.
The mission of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Charlotte is to inspire children, youth and adults to discover and articulate deeper spiritual meaning evidenced in lives of integrity, compassion and stewardship of the earth.
As a congregation, we courageously name these ends to which we aspire:
- We are a joyful, dynamic community of people who care about and are connected to each other. Here people are welcomed, heard, included and respected.
- We are a sanctuary for those on a liberal religious path and a beacon of progressive thought and action in the larger Charlotte community.
- We cultivate lives of generosity and responsibility, sharing our personal abundance.
- We are intentionally growing in our diversity as a congregation, each of us working with others to overcome the barriers that divide the human family.
- We strive for peace, justice and equity in our hearts, our interpersonal relationships, our community and our world.
The UU Church of Charlotte is recognized as a Welcoming Congregation. And we are also officially certified as a FAITH (Fellowship Actions Impacting the Habitat) site by the NC Wildlife Federation, a program designed to recognize and certify places of worship that meet crucial requirements for a wildlife-friendly habitat.