"The mission of the UUCC music program is to enrich and enhance the experience of spirituality and UU values for church members and the wider community."
Music plays a vital role in the life of the UU Church of Charlotte and, along with other program offerings, exists to support the congregation’s mission. Through a presentation of diverse musical styles, performed by talented congregational musicians and ensembles, the music program encourages the participation of all interested in actively engaging with the musical life of the congregation.
Under the leadership of Director of Music John Herrick and an active Music Team comprised of members of the congregation, the music program provides weekly leadership and inspiration for Sunday morning services and special services throughout the year. John Herrick collaborates closely with our minister, Jay Leach, as well as with guest speakers and service leaders in selecting music to support a chosen topic or theme.
The program also coordinates music for activities of the Religious Education for Children and Youth Program (CYRE), and provides outreach opportunities for the congregation through its Outreach Choir. Activities include a “Singing Valentine” to area assisted-living facilities, visits to homeless shelters, and support for those negatively impacted by our penal system.
The music program continues to expand to meet the needs of a growing congregation. Activities include: the Music & Poetry series, which seeks to engage congregational musicians and lovers of poetry; “Love Me Tender, Love Me Sweet,” an annual intergenerational Valentine’s Day coffeehouse; an intergenerational caroling party; “Music 101” seminar; and “Summer Sing!,” an opportunity for youth and adults to collaborate through music during the summer months. Annual retreats are held for all music program participants.
Musical instruments belonging to the church include a W. Zimmer & Sons pipe organ (1969), a Kawai baby grand piano and a set of Malmark hand chimes (4 octaves).
- Adult Choir — open to all interested in singing. This fun and dedicated ensemble provides musical leadership for Sunday services as well special services throughout the year. Rehearsals are held Wednesday evenings from 7-8:30 p.m. in the sanctuary. Sunday morning warm-ups are held 45 minutes before the service.
- Chamber Choir — an auditioned chamber vocal ensemble that performs throughout the year for services and special programs. Rehearses twice a month on Wednesday evenings from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. Schedule announced.
- Children’s Choir — open to all first through fifth graders. The engaging weekly rehearsals are held Sunday mornings from 10:30 to 11:05 a.m. in the Priestley Room (located in the CYRE wing behind the Freeman Fellowship Hall and kitchen). The Children’s Choir sings for Sunday services throughout the school year. Letter & Registration Form
- Song Leaders — come-as-you-can choir that assists in leading congregational hymn singing when choirs are not present. Rehearses 15 minutes before the hour (8:45 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.) in advance of each service. Performance and rehearsal schedule announced.
- Hand Chime Ensemble — working with a 4-octave hand chime set, this dedicated ensemble works diligently to create beautiful music throughout the year. Rehearsals are held Wednesday evenings from 6 to 7 p.m. in the sanctuary.
Other Opportunities — there are many opportunities for those who play an instrument or sing, from instrumental music in special services to providing music for CYRE and outreach programs.
For more information or to get involved in the music program, please contact Director of Music John Herrick at 704-366-8623 ext. 230.