UUCC Social Justice
Mission of the Social Justice Program:
To shape a more just and equitable community through advocacy, education, and service.
Because of our belief in our inherent worth and mutual interdependency, UUs have a strong commitment to and history rooted in social justice. Back in the 1960’s our UUCC minister and many church members were active in the Civil Rights Movement, participating in sit-ins and protests for equal rights and the desegregation of local hospitals and public schools. Our religious association, the UUA, takes strong visible stands nationally on many important social justice issues, including: gender equality, LBGT (Lesbian, Bi-sexual, Gay and Transgender) equality, environmental justice, living wage, immigration, and peace.
While we have a number of projects that our members are committed to (see Outreach and Other Social Justice Efforts), the current focus of our social justice efforts is centered on Homelessness and Affordable Housing. This focus was chosen by a vote of the congregation in 2008, selecting Homelessness and Affordable as the social justice project we could all unite around and to which we could devote much of our energy and resources.
The Social Justice Program falls under the direction and management of the Social Justice Team (see below). The Social Justice Team works closely with Action Groups, who are the “worker bees,” those who participate in the direct services. These Action Groups focus on various social justice-related efforts including:
- Direct Service
- Volunteer Management
How Can You Help?
- Get involved in one of the programs that already exist within our church community (see Outreach and
Other Social Justice Efforts).
- Become involved in other direct services. You can click here to review the Resource Notebook, also available in the Church office. The notebook outlines opportunities and needs in a variety of issue-related agencies.
- Volunteer to share your expertise in the areas of database and resource library building, organizational support, volunteer coordination, community advocacy activities, or whatever you see as a need or opportunity.
- Volunteer to participate in an Action Group or become a Team Leader.
- Participate in the numerous congregational educational opportunities provided.
- Read Charlotte’s 10 year plan to prevent Homelessness.
- Contact any of the Team members listed below to get started.
UUCC Social Justice Team Current Members 2013-2014