As a faith community, we encourage each other to enrich our lives by connecting with each other, engaging in spiritual development and getting involved in social action. Here are just some of the programs and activities available to our adult members. Most are open to non-members as well.
Social Justice Program
Unitarian Universalists have a strong and lasting commitment to social justice. We follow our hearts and take stands on important social justice issues such as gender equality, LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) equality, environmental justice, living wage, immigration and peace. Since 2008 our congregation has focused its efforts primarily in the areas of homelessness and affordable housing.
We encourage our members to play active roles in promoting social justice, and we provide many service opportunities:
- working with organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Room in the Inn (Urban Ministry Center) and Men’s Shelter of Charlotte
- supporting and mentoring individuals and families who are jailed or homeless
- advocating for the homeless and promoting affordable housing in the Charlotte community
Learn more about our social justice programs or volunteer your time and talents.
Adult Religious Education and Spiritual Development
We strive to nurture and stimulate the personal growth of our adult members. The classes, events and Discover Groups (small group ministry) offered through our adult religious education program provide rich and varied opportunities for fueling the intellect, discovering deeper spiritual meaning and developing lasting connections within our community.
Recent classes included:
- Writing Your Spiritual Journey
- Let Your Life Speak – on living authentically
- Our Chosen Faith – on what it means to choose our liberal faith
- Philosophy of Social Justice
Except for the cost of class materials, these programs are offered as a benefit of membership, without charge. Non-members are invited to participate on a space-available basis, also at no cost.
Read more about our current offerings.
Building Our Spiritual Community
We are always seeking to expand and deepen the personal connections within our spiritual community. You will find lots of opportunities for fellowship in smaller, congenial settings throughout the year:
- Tables for Eight dinner parties
- picnics and potlucks
- game and film nights
- special events
Read more about upcoming community-building events.
Our Congregational Care Team is the eyes and ears of a caring congregation. The team responds to our members in times of need or celebration by:
- visiting members in their homes
- delivering food to members
- organizing memorial service receptions
- delivering baby blankets to new families
- making and delivering prayer shawls as part of the Healing Threads Prayer Shawl Ministry